Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lisa's Taco Hut of San Antonio


When I moved from Spring Branch to San Antonio in February, everyone I met told me to try out Lisa's Taco.  They were right … this is the place to go if you like tacos.  Lisa's makes a fully-cooked thick flour tortilla and has a mess of choices to put on their tortillas.

This posting provides just some of what they have to offer.  Every flour tortilla I had here was perfectly cooked, not doughy and not burnt, but cooked all the way through.


Lisa's is located north of Loop 410 at the intersection of Bandera and Huebner roads.  Go north on Bandera until you get to Huebner.  If you're a local, you probably know a better way.

Coffee:


And the coffee is just so thick.  Eat your hearts out, Texas-tea lovers, this is the good stuff.


Forget-me-not Taco:



I had so many tacos here that I actually forgot which one this was, but it sure looks great.  My guess is that it's bacon and beans.  I probably had the cheese added.  Bacon and beans go great together.


Chorizo and Beans:


Chorizo and beans.   This is the first Tex-Mex restaurant that I have found chorizo and beans combined on the same taco.   Pan fried chorizo (Mexican sausage) is added to their great refried beans and placed on one of their thick flour tortillas.  And you can get two of these scrumptious tacos for a buck and a half!

Barbacoa!


Give me two barbacoa tacos and I'm done until nightfall.  Barbacoa is slow-cooked cheek meat from the cow.  You who are finicky eaters, you're missing out on a great Tex-Mex treat.


Bacon and Egg:


 Not chunks of bacon cooked in the egg here.  You get a whole slice of crisp bacon longer than the tortilla.


Country Sausage and Egg:


See how much country sausage they give you … as much sausage as they give you egg.   Sorry, Lisa, the shot was out of focus.


Bean and Cheese:


The beans are great here too.  Add the salsa verde (That's green, Gringo!) and you have a great breakfast flavor.  (Yes, I'm a gringo too.)


Carne Guisada:


I had to order extra napkins for this one.  Lisa's carne guisada is one of the best that I have ever ingested.  It's stewed beef slivers in a tomato-chili sauce.  This taco is worth the mess.


Carne Asada:


Not many places serve up carne asada.  This dish has the same meat as its cousin above, but instead of being stewed, the beef is grilled.


Potato, Egg, & Cheese:


My artist (Crystal Cordova) for my online story writing ordered this taco and she loved it.  It was Friday during Lent, and my guess was that she was being a good Catholic.  Look how much cheese they gave her.


Machacado:


Machacado is a Mexican breakfast dish which consists of pan fried beef chips with tomato and jalapenos tossed into scrambled egg.  But … most places don't have this large of chips in the machacado nor as much.  In fact, it's more like strips than chips.  This is the best machacado taco that I have ever eaten.


Salsa Verde:


Salsa verde comes to the table in this convenient dispenser.  I put this on just about everything at Lisa's Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment