Sunday, December 15, 2013

Kuby's Sausage House of Dallas, Texas


The ethnic sausage from Kuby's is the BEST German sausage that I have ever tasted.  Thanks goes to my wife's son Jose for putting me on to Kuby's Sausage House.  I generally travel to Dallas with a cooler to take back sausage from Kuby's … which is by the way a restaurant as well as a delicatessen.

According to the website, Kuby's has a two century German tradition of making great sausage.  The family moved its operation to the States during the depression and opened in the Dallas location in the early 60s.   For more information, go to www.kubys.com.

To get to Kuby's from I-75, go west on Lover's Lane to Snyder Plaza where you turn north.  You can also get there from the Dallas Tollway, but I don't do toll roads.  Don't like to pay for a road twice, but that's me.


The Delicatessen: 


This is truly hog's heaven.  Any sausage that is German in this case buy!  It's all great.  A neighbor and friend Jim likes the sausage so much that he has a standing order from me the every time I visit Kuby's.


Weisswurst:


Weisswurst is one of the more delicate of the German sausages.  It's tradition comes from Bavaira and is made from very-fine ground veal and fresh pork.  The seasonings are delicate.  My guess is the green spots are parsley or onions.  This dish would be great with grilled kraut that has only a hint of vinegar


Bratwurst:




Bratwurst is more crossly ground sausage and is great sliced in half and pan fried.  My guess is that it is mostly made of pork which is fine by me.  This dish is great served on seeded rye or pumpernickel with a country mustard.  It is popular with sour kraut as well.

Smoked Brats:


The same sausage as above, but this brat has been smoked.  I would grill this sausage split outdoors on a gas or a charcoal pit.  If you cook them slow though, then don't split the sausage.  Rather cook them until the casing splits so the bar-b-que flavor seeps through to the meat.  This stuff is great with a German potato salad or an American one for that matter.  The San Antonions I know will slide one of these links onto a grilled flour tortilla with mustard.


Knockwurst:


This is probably the grandfather of the American hotdog, but is much better than any hotdog I have ever tasted.  My guess it is made from finely ground pork and beef, but don't ask what cuts.  I go for the taste and allow the rest to be a mystery.  Obviously a Kosher knockwurst would be all beef.  Kuby's, however, is not Kosher.

Knockwurst supposedly came from the Holstein Region of Germany, but over the years has gained worldwide popularity.  I like my Kuby's knockwurst grilled and served with a selection of mustards and cheeses.  Nibbling the night away with a dark beer (maybe Shiners) and Kuby's knockwurst, it doesn't get much better than that.

Smoked Venison Sausage:


Kuby's, in addition to preparing their own sausage, will do game prep for their hunter customers.  My guess is that's where they came up with the idea for this sausage.

Normally, I do not purchase off-ethnic sausage from this wonderful German deli, but this sausage was too interesting to resist.  And I purchased only one link for taste-sharing with my friends back in Spring Branch.  Bad decision … I didn't have enough.  The venison sausage was great.  Next time, I'll come back with two pounds of this stuff.

Qualifier:

My culture is not German.  If any errors were made in my presentation, I apologize.  Please email me at  breakfastbro@hotmail.com if there are any corrections that I need to make.  Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment